From ExoDictionary
Revision as of 17:00, 30 April 2007 by Autostub3 (Talk)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
This definition page has been automatically generated.
You can help ExoDictionary by expanding, updating, or correcting it.

This autostub has not yet had its initial copyediting proof and may contain significant formatting and even factual errors. You can improve Exodictionary by cleaning up the page markup and verifying that the definition is correct and then removing this tag.

This autostub has not yet had its initial categorization proof and may be categorized incorrectly. You can improve Exodictionary by removing inappropriate categories and then removing this tag.


1. A thin and more-or-less flat object intended to align itself with a stream or flow in a manner similar to that of the common weathercock, as: (a) a device that project ahead of an aircraft to sense gusts or other actions of the air so as to create impulses or signals that are transmitted to the control system to stabilize the aircraft; (b) a fixed or movable surface used to control or give stability to a rocket. See control vane. </dd>
2. A blade or paddle-like object, often fashioned like an airfoil and usually one of several, that rotates about an axis, either being moved by a flow or creating a flow itself, such as the blade of a turbine, of a fan, of a rotary pump or air compressor, etc. See impeller vane. </dd>
3. Any of certain stationary blades, plates, or the like that serve to guide or direct a flow, or to create a special kind of flow, as: (a) any of the blades in the nozzle ring of a gas-turbine engine; (b) any of the plates or slatlike objects that guide the flow in a wind tunnel; (c) a plate or fence projecting from a wing to prevent spanwise flow. See contravane. See airfoil, note. [[/a>|/a> ]]


This article is based on NASA's Dictionary of Technical Terms for Aerospace Use